• Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap
Ommcom News
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • ଓଡ଼ିଆରେ ପଢନ୍ତୁ
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • ଓଡ଼ିଆରେ ପଢନ୍ତୁ
No Result
View All Result
Odisha News, Odisha Breaking News, Odisha Latest News || Ommcom News
Home Nation

Naga Body Suspends Bandh In Manipur After MHA Calls Meeting On Oct 11

OMMCOM NEWS by OMMCOM NEWS
October 2, 2024
in Nation

Imphal:  Manipur-based United Naga Council (UNC) on Wednesday temporarily suspended its 48-hour shutdown after the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) called for a tripartite meeting on October 11 to discuss the issue.

MHA’s advisor, North East Affairs, A. K. Mishra in a letter to UNC President N.G. Lorho informed that the tripartite meeting with the Naga body would be held on October 11 in New Delhi and invited them to attend the meeting.

Soon after the MHA’s notice for the tripartite talks, the UNC announced the temporary suspension of its 48-hour shutdown from midnight of October 3 in support of their demand for rollback of the ‘arbitrary creation’ of seven new districts in all Naga-dominated areas of Manipur.

UNC’s Information and Publicity Secretary James Hau in a statement said that on receipt of an official invitation for a tripartite talk on their demand for the creation of new districts rollback between the Centre, Manipur government and the UNC on October 11 and at the request of the representative of the MHA, the proposed 48 hours total bandh in Naga areas from the midnight of October 3 is temporarily suspended.

“Whilst acknowledging the unflinching support and cooperation from the constituent units, subordinate bodies, various Naga frontal organisations, and the Naga populace, in general, are requested to remain steadfast and be prepared for any course of action until our demand is met,” the statement said.

The UNC has been demanding the rollback of the “arbitrary creation” of seven new districts in December 2016 and the reinstatement of the status quo.

The UNC had on September 11 issued an ultimatum to Union Home Minister Amit Shah for redressal of the pending issue of “arbitrary creation” of seven new districts in Manipur in 2016 and warned of intense agitation if the matter was not resolved within 15 days.

The UNC statement said that seven new districts were created arbitrarily by bifurcating parent districts on December 8, 2016, during the Congress regime without any information, consent or knowledge of the stakeholders.

It added that the seven new districts were created “dishonouring” the four memoranda between the government of Manipur and the Naga people besides the assurance from the government of India in 2011.

The statement said that in protest against the arbitrary creation of seven new districts, mammoth protests, hartals and economic blockades were organised on all the National Highways for 139 days in the state and as many as ten rounds of tripartite talks were held on the issue between the Centre, the Manipur government and the UNC.”

The Naga body had said that the last talks with the governments were held on March 9, 2019, with the assurance that a concrete proposal shall be placed by the Manipur government in the next round of talks, supposedly to be held by the last week of July 2019.

The UNC said that a missive had been sent to the office of the Special Secretary, Northeast, Ministry of Home Affairs, for resumption of the tripartite talks on January 22, 2024, and a prompt reminder was sent on February 23 but received no response as of yet.

Naga people mostly inhabited six Manipur districts — Tamenglong, Chandel, Ukhrul, Kamjong, Noney and Senapati, which are along the Nagaland and Myanmar borders.

During the 17-month-long ethnic unrest in Manipur between the non-tribal Meitei and the tribal Kuki-Zo community, Naga-inhabited areas remained peaceful.

(IANS)

ShareTweetSendSharePinShareSend
Previous Post

Odisha To Rollout NEP-2020 Soon: Minister

Next Post

Northeast Monsoon To Hit TN By October End, Says Weather Department

Related Posts

Nation

Blot On Democratic Politics: BJP Slams Mahua Moitra Over Remarks On Amit Shah

August 30, 2025
Nation

Only 128 Claims, Objections Received From Political Parties In Bihar: ECI

August 30, 2025
Nation

Three-Member Panel To Hold Talks With Pro-Maratha Quota Activist Jarange-Patil

August 30, 2025
Nation

‘Done A Lot In Last 10 Years’: Indian Diaspora In Japan Hails PM Modi’s Visit

August 30, 2025
Nation

Want Maha Govt’s Written Assurance It Won’t Give Reservation To Marathas From Our Quota: OBC Federation

August 30, 2025
Nation

Lalu Yadav, His Son Making Historic Mistakes: JD(U)’S KC Tyagi Slams RJD Over Role In ‘Voter Adhikar Yatra’

August 30, 2025
Next Post

Northeast Monsoon To Hit TN By October End, Says Weather Department

National Tennis C'ship: Top Seed Vishnu, Maaya Move Into Quarterfinals Of Fenesta Open

ISL 2024-25: Sergio Lobera Eyes 10th Win As Odisha FC Face Kerala Blasters

khimji
  • Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • ଓଡ଼ିଆରେ ପଢନ୍ତୁ

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.