• Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap
Ommcom News
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
Odisha News, Odisha Breaking News, Odisha Latest News || Ommcom News
Home Nation

Women Tear Their Clothes To Protest Against Eviction Drive In Guwahati

OMMCOM NEWS by OMMCOM NEWS
September 2, 2023
in Nation

Guwahati: Tension gripped the Silsako area in Guwahati on Friday after hundreds of women showed up to oppose an eviction drive by the Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority (GMDA).

According to the administration, at least 130 bighas of land in the area have been encroached by illegal settlers and the police were deployed to remove the encroachments.

However, in reaction to the administration’s eviction drive, large-scale protests broke out, resulting in clashes between the demonstrators and the law enforcement officials. Some women protesters even tore their cloths as a mark of protest against the eviction drive.

The protesters said they would rather die than have their homes taken away from them. The women also resisted the police’s attempts to disperse the crowd.

The local residents said they had nowhere to go as the government did not make any alternative arrangements for them, despite the authorities’ claims that they had served the locals advance notice for eviction.

It should be noted that a magisterial investigation on the eviction drive in Silsako Beel has already been ordered. Following a request from the Assam Human Rights Commission (AHRC), the Kamrup-Metro district administration ordered the magisterial probe into the eviction drive.

Earlier in February, the Silsako Beel, a protected wetland in Guwahati, had become the target of an eviction drive by the GMDA.

The exercise resulted in the demolition of around 250 “illegally constructed” homes. The administration had scheduled to free another 130 bighas of encroached land on Friday.

 (IANS)

Tags: Guwahati
ShareTweetSendSharePinShareSend
Previous Post

TPSDOL Cautions Customers Against Fraudsters Collecting Bills

Next Post

G20 Summit: Comprehensive Security Measures Implemented, Says Spl CP

Related Posts

Nation

HM Amit Shah To Inaugurate Joint Regional Rajbhasha Sammelan In Tripura Tomorrow

February 19, 2026
Nation

ECI To Begin Special Revision Of Electoral Rolls In Delhi, 21 States/UTs From April

February 19, 2026
Directorate of Enforcement
Nation

ED Attaches Ansal Housing’s Assets Worth Rs 82 Crore In Gurugram

February 19, 2026
Nation

‘Journey Of Jan Sewa’: Himanta Biswa Sarma On 25 Years In Assam Assembly

February 19, 2026
Nation

Hindi To Unite India, AI To Power Future: Tripura CM Saha

February 19, 2026
Nation

India Is Third Largest AI Power In World, Must Leverage To Own Advantage: Mohandas Pai

February 19, 2026
Next Post

G20 Summit: Comprehensive Security Measures Implemented, Says Spl CP

Taxpayers Receiving Notices For Claiming Deductions Create Confusion

SAFF U-16 C’ship: India Look To Dominate Opening Exchanges Against Bangladesh In Opener

Khimji
OMC
  • Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.