**Angul:** In a very tragic incident, two young kids came in contact with a support wire of 11Kv and sustained 70-80 percent burns in Tentulihata village of Angul district.
A 5-year-old Pankaj Nayak came in contact with the moss-ridden wire while playing in rains near his house. His neighbourhood friend, 8-year-old Sangram Nayak came to help and rescue him instantly but got also affected by the electric current. Both are stated to be in critical condition.
“It was raining and we all were indoors. The children had gone out to play. A boy came and informed us of the mishap. We rushed to the spot, and saw both the children on ground. Immediately, we rushed them to the Angul District Headquarters Hospital (DHH). Both have been burnt very badly,” informed Pankaj’s father, Abhimanyu Nayak, a daily wage labourer.
A third child playing nearby informed the parents and neighbours, who rescued and rushed them to the Angul District Headquarters Hospital. Both the kids were being treated in the general ward, and were shifted to an AC chamber after much persuasion of the locals.
Notably, the support wire of the live 11 Kv wire was covered with climbers and moss, due to which Pankaj was unable to distinguish and came into its contact. But, it may be pointed out that the wire was well within the reach of the children. The concerned authorities had made no efforts to cover it or remove it. It was easily accessible to a 5-year-old kid. So were the authorities waiting for a mishap to happen? Will this accident change the whole scenario?