Berhampur: Three members of a family died, while two others are critical reportedly due to food poisoning in Shriram Nagar village under Shergada police limits in Odisha’s Ganjam district on Monday morning.
The deceased include Savitri Sahu, a teacher of Mahatma Gandhi High School in Shergarh, and her two sons Sibesh and Pritesh. While her husband Prashant’s condition is stable, the condition of her mother-in-law Urmilla Dakua is said to be critical.
According to reports, Savitri and her family have been residing in a rented house at Sheragada. Last night, they had dinner together and went to bed. After a few hours, all the family members developed stomach aches and dysentery.
The two children died during treatment at the Sheragarda Community Health Center, while the doctors pronounced Savitri dead when the neighbours took her to the healthcare facility. Prashant Dakua is currently undergoing treatment at Sheragarda Health Center, while his mother has been shifted to the MKCG Medical College and Hospital as her condition deteriorated.
Though the exact reason behind their death is yet to be ascertained, it is suspected that food poisoning might be the cause.
On being informed, Shergada police reached the spot and started an investigation.
Meanwhile, the medical officer at the Sheragarda Hospital said that the exact reason for the death would be known after receiving the death certificates of the deceased.