Malkangiri: In a shocking incident, eight Anganwadi children have been admitted to the District Headquarters Hospital (DHH) here today as they suddenly fell ill after returning home.
The incident has taken place at Munuskunda village under Sindhrimal panchayat in the tribal-dominated district here.
The doctor informed that the children developed such a health condition owing to the consumption of poisonous fruit near the Anganwadi centre of the village.
Malkangiri DHH doctor Prafulla Chandra Behera informed media, “We received eight Anganwadi children at our Casualty Ward. Out of the eight children, six are boys while two are girl children. They have consumed the fruit of Baigiria tree. They are all vomiting. We have already begun our symptomatic treatment. Their condition is stable now.”
“Perhaps the children are ignorant of the fruit’s bad effects. They inadvertently mistook it as safe and sweet fruit. Hence, they have eaten accidentally.”
“We had sent our children to the Anganwadi centre. Despite the presence of the Anganwadi didi and the cook didi, our children suffered. When the health condition of our children suddenly went wrong, we got scared and rushed them to hospital here. When we don’t send our children, they complain and grumble. And now they are not keeping a watch on our children’s safety and movement there,” rued an aggrieved mother.
Till the filing of the report, no concerned authorities from the District Women and Child Development Department or the concerned CDPO or Supervisor was available at the DHH for reactions.