11 July 2019
Kalahandi: Taken aback by India's defeat in the World Cup semi-final, a youth of Singhabadi village under Golamunda block consumed poison on Wednesday night.
Sambharu Bhoi (30) and his friends were watching the important India- New Zealand match last evening when the Men in Blue were put in a tough spot after the top order batsmen were dismissed.
While his friends lost hope, Bhoi remained optimistic and confidently challenged his friends that India would win and advance to the World Cup final. Just when things had started looking positive for the Indian team, Dhoni's dismissal and the successive wickets after that ended the game in Kiwis favour.
Not being able to take the loss in his stride, Bhoi consumed poison and started vomitting blood. He was rushed to Dharmagarh Community Health Centre but his condition worsened. Later, he was shifted to district headquarters hospital in Bhawanipatana in critical condition and is currently undergoing treatment.