Bhubaneswar: The Cyclonic Storm Jawad is to make landfall near the coastal areas of Puri district, informed Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) Pradeep Kumar Jena on Friday.
The landfall may occur in between the evening of 4th December and morning of 5th December and the wind speed is likely to be around 90-100 kmph gusting to 110.
The cyclone will have its maximum impact over the districts of Ganjam, Puri, Khorda, Jagatsinghpur, and Kendrapara, he added.
As per the latest weather bulletin, the Deep Depression over westcentral and adjoining south Bay of Bengal lay centered at 0830 hrs IST of today at about 480 km south-southeast of Vishakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh), 600 km southsoutheast of Gopalpur (Odisha) and 700 km south-southwest of Paradip (Odisha).
It is likely to move northwestwards and intensify into a Cyclonic Storm during next 06 hours. It is likely to reach west-central Bay of Bengal off north Andhra Pradesh – south Odisha coasts by tomorrow, the 4th December morning.
Thereafter it is likely to recurve north-northeastwards and move along Odisha coast during the subsequent 24 hours with a maximum sustained wind speed of 80-90 kmph gusting to 100 kmph.
December 3: Light to moderate rainfall at many places with heavy to very heavy rainfall at isolated places over north coastal Andhra Pradesh and south coastal Odisha.
December 4: Light to moderate rainfall at most places with heavy to very heavy rainfall & extremely heavy falls at isolated places very likely over south coastal Odisha and north coastal Andhra Pradesh and heavy to very heavy rainfall at isolated places over north coastal Odisha & adjoining interior districts and also over coastal districts of Gangetic West Bengal.
December 5: Light to moderate rainfall at many places with heavy to very heavy rainfall at isolated places likely over Gangetic West Bengal & north Odisha and heavy rainfall at isolated places over Assam & Meghalaya, Mizoram and Tripura.
December 6: Light to moderate rainfall at many places with heavy to very heavy rainfall at isolated places likely over Assam & Meghalaya, Mizoram and Tripura and heavy rainfall at isolated places over west Bengal.
Expected impact & action suggested (For Srikakulam, Vizianagaram & Vishakhapatnam districts of north Coastal Andhra Pradesh; Gajapati, Ganjam, Puri, Nayagarh, Khurda, Cuttack, Jagatsinghpur & Kendrapara districts of Odisha)
A. Impact Expected
- Major damage to thatched houses/ huts.
- Breaking of tree branches, uprooting of trees.
- Minor damage to power and communication lines.
- Localized Flooding of roads, inundation and water logging in low lying areas and closure of underpasses mainly in urban areas of the affected region.
- Occasional reduction in visibility due to heavy rainfall.
- Disruption of traffic in major cities due to water logging in roads leading to increased travel time.
- Minor damage to kutcha roads.
- Possibilities of damage to vulnerable structure.
- Localized Landslides/Mudslides
- Damage to horticulture and standing crops in some areas due to inundation. Damage to banana, Papaya & Moringa (Drumstick) trees.
- It may lead to riverine flooding in some river catchments
B. Action Suggested
- Total suspension of fishing operations.
- Check for traffic congestion on your route before leaving for your destination.
- Follow any traffic advisories that are issued in this regard.
- Avoid going to areas that face the water logging problems often.
- Avoid staying in vulnerable structure.
- Harvest the ripen crops like Paddy & Horticultural crops and also secure the harvested crops securely from the damage due to rain and strong winds.