‘Extremely Severe’ Cyclone FANI Approaching Odisha, Know The Warnings Issued & Damage Expected
Bhubaneswar: The Extremely Severe Cyclonic Storm ‘FANI’ (pronounced as ‘FONI’) over Westcentral Bay of Bengal moved at speed of 16 kmph and lay centered about about 360 km south-southwest of Puri (Odisha), 190 km south-southeast of Vishakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh) and 550 km south-southwest of Digha (West Bengal) today afternoon. It is very likely to move north-northeastwards and cross Odisha Coast between Gopalpur and Chandbali, around Puri during 3rd May afternoon with maximum sustained wind speed of 170- 180 kmph gusting to 200 kmph.
Here are all the warnings issued by the IMD:
On May 2: Red warning (take action)- Heavy to very heavy rainfall very likely at a few places over Gajapati, Ganjam, Puri, Khordha, Koraput, Rayagada and Kandhamal districts of Odisha with isolated extremely heavy rainfall over the districts of Gajapati, Ganjam (*Intense heavy rainfall likely to commence from today mid-night).
Orange Warning (Be prepared)- Isolated heavy to very heavy rainfall over the districts of Nayagarh, Cuttack, Jagatsinghpur, Boudh, (Intense rainfall likely to commence from today late night) and Malkangiri(Intense rain from today evening).
On May 3: Red Warning (Take Action)- Heavy to very heavy rainfall very likely at a few places over the districts of Gajapati, Ganjam , Puri, Khordha, Nayagarh, Cuttack, Jagatsinghapur, Jajpur, Bhadrak, Kendrapara, Balasore Kandhamal, Rayagada, Angul, Dhenkanal, Keonjhar, Mayurbhanj, of Odisha with isolated extremely heavy rainfall over districts of Puri, Khurda, Cuttack, Jagatsinghapur, Dhenkanal, Jajpur, Bhadrak, Kendrapara, Balasore and Mayurbhanj.
Yellow warning (be upodated): Heavy rainfall at isolated places over the districts of Boudh, Kalahandi, Sambalpur and Deogarh of Odisha.
On May 4: Orange warning- Heavy to very heavy rainfall at isolated places the districts of Balasore Keonjhar, Mayurbhanj, of Odisha
Yellow warning- Heavy rainfall at isolated places the districts of Jajpur, Bhadrak, and Kendrapara of Odisha.
Damage Expected and Action suggested for Ganjam, Gajapati, Khurda, Puri, Jagatsinghpur districts of Odisha:
- Extensive damage to all types of kutcha houses, some damage to old badly managed Pucca structures. Potential threat from flying objects.
- Extensive uprooting of communication and power poles.
- Disruption of rail/road link at several places.
- Extensive damage to standing crops, plantations, orchards.
- Blowing down of Palm and coconut trees.
- Uprooting of large bushy trees.
- Large boats and ships may get torn from their moorings.
Damage Expected and action suggested for Kendrapara, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Balasore districts of Odisha:
- Total destruction of thatched houses/ extensive damage to kutcha houses. Some damage to pucca houses. Potential threat from flying objects.
- Bending/ uprooting of power and communication poles.
- Major damage to Kutcha and Pucca roads. Flooding of escape routes. Minor disruption of railways, overhead powerlines and signalling systems.
- Widespread damage to standing crops, plantations, orchards, falling of green coconuts and tearing of palm fronds. Blowing down of bushy trees like mango.
- Small boats, country crafts may get detached from moorings.
- Visibility severely affected.
- Hoarding, flex and banners hanging loose are likely to fly and damage surroundings. These should be removed.
(i) Total suspension of fishing operations. Mobilise evacuation from coastal areas.
(ii) Judicious regulation/diversion of rail and road traffic.
(iii) People in affected areas to remain indoors.
(iv) Movement in motor boats and small ships unsafe.