**Puri: ** A young girl named Gouri Sahu, who allegedly consumed poison in the premises of Shree Jagannath Temple here died in the SCB Medical College and Hospital on Thursday afternoon.
Gouri was a street-peddler by profession and used to sell goodies in the streets of Puri near the Temple. Her father, Patita Sahoo, a resident of Bali Sahi, is a small time businessman having a small shop of eatery near the temple. Her brother and mother are mentally deranged and she used to single-handedly carry out her family chores.
“Gouri hails from a lower middle class family and sell small items near the temple to eke out a living. She used to visit the Temple daily. We were informed that she became sick yesterday in the temple premises and was rushed to the hospital by the police. The doctors presumed that she must have consumed poison and referred her to SCB as her condition deteriorated. We arranged 108 ambulance and took her to Cuttack last nihgt. She was recovering there. But today morning, at around 8 am, her condition became unwell and she passed away within an hour,” informed Pravakar Behera, her neighbour.
While talking to OMMCOM NEWS over phone, Puri SP, Sarthak Sarangi confirmed the unfortunate incident. He informed,” A few sevayats (priests) found an unconscious girl in the Temple premises. We rushed her to the Puri DHH as her identity was unknown. After her identification, her parents were informed. The condition of her health deteriorated further which prompted the doctors there to refer her to SCB, Cuttack. I have no other information till now.”
“Gouri was not a girl who would consume poison and commit suicide. We are waiting for the post-mortem report,” said her father.
A Unnatural Death case has been registered in Cuttack.
The Puri police have not yet started any investigation as no case has been registered here. The reason behind her consumption of poison is not yet ascertained.