Bhubaneswar: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Friday reviewed the key transformative initiatives of the state Housing & Urban Development Department. H&UD Minister Usha Devi and Principal Secretary, H&UD, Mathi Vanthanan made a presentation before the Chief Minister on the achievements of the department during the last four years.
Later, addressing the media, Usha Devi and Vathanan said that the transformative journey of Urban Odisha was made possible through innovative programmes across various sectors and under the 5T governance principle, and the state has made significant strides in recent years and will continue with the same vigour, they stated.
Among the key urban initiatives which have made a significant impact on the lives of the people are the JAGA Mission, Drink From Tap quality 24×7 water supply, and MUKTA – the urban wage employment scheme – being implemented through a community partnership with the active involvement of Mission Shakti Women Self Help Groups (SHGs) and Slum Dweller Associations (SDAs).
Following is the status of the completion of assurances given in Election Manifesto-2019
- 1.73 Lakh families granted Land Right Certificates in Municipalities and NACs.
- A slum household survey has been completed in 5 municipal corporations. 1 lakh slum families are to be granted land right certificates by December 2023. More than 50,000 LRCs are ready and 1,62,327 houses have been constructed
- Door-to-door garbage collection has been ensured in all 2,055 wards in all 115 cities
- 252 Micro Composting Centres and 216 Material Recovery Facilities are functioning in 115 cities for processing the solid waste generated
- 112 Faecal Sludge Septage Treatment Plants (FSTPs) are operational across 110 ULBs to treat septage generated in the cities. All these waste processing facilities are operated and managed by the Mission Shakti & transgender groups.
- 100% of households in 5 municipal corporations are covered with piped water supply connections
- 99% of households in the remaining 110 ULBs are covered with piped water supply and the remaining 1% of households are to be provided with piped water supply before December 2023.
- In Berhampur-24×7 Drink from Tap to be completed by June 2023.
- In Cuttack 24×7 Drink from Tap to be completed by December 2023.
- In Rourkela-24×7 Drink from Tap to be completed by December 2023.
- In Bhubaneswar, 24×7 Drink from Tap is to be completed by March 2024.
- The Metro Rail System for Bhubaneswar Capital Regional has been sanctioned by Chief Minister. Delhi Metro Rail Corporation is engaged as the consultant & DPR is under preparation. Construction work is likely to commence before the end of 2023.
Highlighting the major achievements of the Department, the H&UD Minister stated, “We are on our journey in transforming the lives of urban denizens. Some of our major achievements are the JAGA Mission adhering to the CM’s, principle of “Valuing People More than Land,” the government instead of evicting people from slums, empowered them by granting land rights and upgrading their infrastructure, amenities, and services to transform slums to Biju Adarsh Colonies. Till now, 772 slums have been upgraded as Biju Adarsh Colonies and four towns namely Hinjilicut, Digapahandi, Rambha, and Purosattampur have achieved slum-free status. These efforts have received international recognition, and awards – the two prestigious awards UN Habitat-World Habitat awards in 2019 and 2023.”
Drink From Tap
Fulfilling another dream of the Chief Minister to provide safe and clean drinking water through tap water house connection to every household, 85 cities including all five corporations have achieved 100% tap connection for households under the Drink from Tap Mission. The remaining 30 cities would be covered before December 2023.