***Jharsuguda:*** It seems as if fire and hospital are going hand in hand. After 26 people lost their life in the Sum Hospital fire tragedy, another fire mishap erupted at the Central Hospital of Mahanadi Coalfield Limited (MCL).
The 150-bedded hospital at Brajrajnagar, established in 1982 has been running with around 40 doctors without any fire safety certificate.
Notably, on Sunday evening, a fire broke at the Hospital due to short circuit in air conditioner at the X-ray room, no casualties were reported but the X-ray room was completely damaged.
When Santosh Swain, Officer, Fire Department was asked about the incident, he said, “The Hospital Authorities didn’t inform us about the incident.”
He further said, “The Authorities have never applied for the fire safety license at our fire station and no NOC has been issued by our side.”
One of the patient said, “We saw a lot of smoke was coming and the fire was spreading out. Later, the rescue team came and doused the fire.”
Dr. R.K Sahu, CMO, Central Hospital said, “When the air conditioner of the X-ray room was switched on, we saw a spark which immediately caught the AC. Only the AC was damaged but no casualties were reported.”
It is allleged that initially the Hospital authorities did not inform the fire tenders and the police and they tried to control the situation of their own.
OMMCOM TEAM tried to contact the MCL authorities regarding this allegation but they were not available for any comments.