Bhubaneswar: In 2019, the people of Odisha trumpeted, yet again, that ‘anti-incumbency’ factor falls flat in case of Naveen Patnaik. The Biju Janata Dal bounced back with a thumping majority in both Lok Sabha and Assembly elections last year.
Naveen was well aware of the attachment and expectations the electorate has with and from him. The five-time CM Naveen is known for his policies that immaculately balance development indicators. In the fifth terms, he lived up to his standards and launched a host of people-centric programmes and schemes in the past 12 months.
As Naveen-led BJD completes the first year of its fifth term today (May 29), here is a list of achievements of the Government in the past twelve months:
1. Mo Sarkar: Public feedback on behaviour and professionalism of Government officers. Unique experiment to keep a tab on day to day working of officials. The success of the programme has led the way to other democratic institutions.
2. 5T Principles: 5T Model of Governance stands for Teamwork, technology, transparency, transformation and time limit. Naveen expects the government machinery must work in cohesion by implementing the 5T (Teamwork, Technology, Transparency, Transformation and Time Limit) to bring about transformational change in the state.
3. Promotion Adalat: Revolutionary – Employees denied promotion in service can approach the promotion adalats. In case someone is eligible and due, but not promoted, then the responsibility will be fixed on higher authority for the lapse. This transparent, time-bound promotion has incentivized hard work and inspired government employees to put their best, leading to better public service delivery.
4. SCB Medical College and Hospital Revamp: Naveen Patnaik approved Rs 1,000 crore revamp plan for SCB Medical College & Hospital, Cuttack. Under this plan the number of beds at SCB will be increased to 3,000. The prestigious SCB MCH will be upgraded as AIIMS Plus institution.
5. Heritage Corridors: Puri Jagannath Temple and Bhubaneswar Lingaraj Temple – Ambitious heritage corridor projects around the Jagannath temple in Puri and Lingaraj temple in Bhubaneswar. Approved Rs 3,208 crore to develop Puri into a world-class heritage city. ‘Ekamra Kshetra’ plan for development of area around Lingaraj temple in Bhubaneswar at an expenditure of Rs 700 crore.
6. Amphan Preparedness: Saved Lives and Property – Under the leadership of Naveen Patnaik, Odisha has earned a distinct reputation of successfully dealing with natural disasters and its aftermath. However, while battling an ongoing crisis as COVID-19 pandemic, it was defintiely a big challenge to face super cyclone Amphan. But Naveen’s team dealt with the disaster with full preparedness and limited loss of life and property.
7. COVID-19 Management: Contained Spread Of Coronavirus – It would have sounded peculiar to many of us when Naveen was insisting setting up COVID hospitals across Odisha. But now the questions are answered. These facilities were definitely needed, rather indispensable. Odisha went on the create records in managing COVID-19, an unseen and unprecedented situation, with significant success rate.
The battle against coronavirus continues…..