Bhubaneswar: The School and Mass Education (S&ME) department of the Odisha government today allowed the reopening of hostels for students of Class X and Class XII from the 26th of this month.
Hostels of schools coming under the S&ME department, ST&SC Development, Minorities and Backward Classes Welfare Department, Social Security and Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Department, private schools and privately managed English medium schools for the students of Class X and Class XII have been allowed to reopen.
The S&ME department has written a letter to the Director, Higher Secondary Education; Director, Secondary Education; Chairman CHSE; and President, Board of Secondary Education in this regard and issued a standard operating procedure (SOP).
The SOP issued by the S&ME department in this connection is as follows:
- The Head of the Institute / Hostel should ensure that students are kept at appropriate distance and staggered manner.
- The common area in the hostel like mess and toilet is maintained and sanitized properly with regular interval, sufficient quantity of soap/hand sanitiser must be made available by the Institutes for use by the residents.
- The students staying at the hostel should be counselled properly about health and hygiene.
- Parental consent must be obtained by the student before joining the hostel.
- The Head of the Institute must be in touch with the local Health Institute to ensure periodic health check of the inmates.
- The Guidelines issued by the Health & Family Welfare Department and SRC-cum-ACS (DM) must be followed scrupulously.
- The residents must not be allowed to congregate at a given place inside the hostel and the hostel authorities must be vigilant to that effect.
- There should be an isolation room available inside the hostel and if some residents fall sick, he/she should be isolated immediately and proper care should be taken for his/her treatment.
The other Departments like ST&SC Development, Minorities and Backward Classes Welfare Dept., Social Security and Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities Dept may issue additional Guidelines / SOP, if they so desire, the letter said.
However, the Guideline issued by Health & Family Welfare Department and SRC Odisha from time to time on Covid -19 will be followed strictly in the process of reopening of Hostels, the letter clarified.