Breaking NewsOdisha

Sadguru COVID Hospital Fire: Prompt Action By Odisha Fire Service Averts Major Mishap

Bhubaneswar: What could have been a major mishap was averted today, thanks to the prompt action of Odisha Fire Service personnel at Cuttack’s Sadguru COVID hospital. Today morning, the hospital situated at Jagatpur reported a major fire which was attended by fire tenders from Chauliaganj and Cuttack fire stations.

The fire services personnel rushed into rescue and evacuation work on reaching the site. The fire occurred in the first floor of Sadguru hospital’s ICU. The fire was initially doused by hospital staff by with basic fire fighting equipment installed on the premises.

“The fire staff after reaching at hospital, immediately opened all the windows, doors and broke open fixed glasses of ICU for extraction of the smoke from the hospital building while simultaneously evacuating the patients from ICU and other wards of the hospital with the help of local hospital staff in the swiftest possible manner and all patients were shifted out of the hospital building,” a senior official of OFS said.

Self-preservation patients were guided to move to the safer places through staircases and physically challenged patients were rescued through stretcher by fire personnel team. Moreover, the supervising officers – Chief Fire Officer, Fire Prevention Wing, Fire Officer, Central Range, Cuttack and Deputy Fire Officer, Cuttack circle were rushed to the spot. They inspected the process of rescue and evacuation, he added.

Preliminary cause of fire seems to be electric short circuit and there are no burn injuries to any patients while some accessories of ICU units have been damaged. Sadguru Covid Care Centre was visited by the AFO, Cuttack and local Station Officer of Chauliaganj Fire Station in the last week of August.

“The hospital staff was sensitized on fire safety measures in the event of any fire incident and were also trained to use the fire fighting equipment,” the Odisha Fire Service Directorate stated.

“The fire fighting equipment, like sprinkler, hose reel hose and extinguishers and fire alarm were installed earlier as per recommendation of Fire Officers during their inspection of the hospital building which came handy during this fire incident which helped in averting a major mishap,” a press note released by the OFS Directorate further added.

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close