13 February 2020
Cuttack: The woman leader belonging to the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) who was admitted to SCB Medical College & Hospital in Cuttack after she self-immolated in front of Berhampur SP office on Wednesday has sustained 100 per cent thermal burn, informed Emergency Officer of the premier medical institute, Dr Bhubanananda Maharana, on Thursday.
The leader, Minakshi Mishra, after being administered with first aid at the casualty was referred to plastic surgery department. Plastic Surgery Department HOD Prof Ananda Pattanaik immediately attended the patient and after providing necessary treatment shifted her to the Central ICU.
At present a team of doctors from Plastic Surgery Department are attending Minakshi. As she had sustained 100 per cent burn injuries, further information on her health condition can be ascertained after the treatment, said Dr Maharana.
Reportedly on January 28, 2020, Minakshi's son Krutibas alias Raja Mishra had been attacked by a group over a trivial parking issue at Panda Colony under Baidyanathpur police limits. During this attack, Minakshi intervened to save her son, but she was also injured. The entire episode of the attack was captured on a CCTV camera in the locality.
It was after Minakshi lodged a complaint in this regard, a probe was conducted by the Additional SP and four persons were arrested on January 31, 2020. However, the arrestees lodged a counter FIR claiming that Krutibas had first attacked one of them with a sword. Based on it, Krutibas, who is a history-sheeter with over ten criminal cases registered against him, was arrested.
Yesterday, Minakshi had visited the Berhampur SP office over the issue with a kerosene bottle concealed in her bag. As SP Pinak Mishra was not present in his office, she was asked to wait for his arrival but instead, she poured the kerosene on her body and set herself afire alleging that the police have implicated her son and arrested him over a false complaint.
Immediately people present at the spot rushed to her rescue but, as she had worn a synthetic saree, the fire had done its damage. She was first rushed to MKCG Medical College and Hospital from where she was shifted to SCB in Cuttack.