• Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap
Ommcom News
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
Odisha News, Odisha Breaking News, Odisha Latest News || Ommcom News
Home World

246 Survivors, 78 Bodies Recovered From Illegal Mine In South Africa

OMMCOM NEWS by OMMCOM NEWS
January 16, 2025
in World

Johannesburg: A total of 246 survivors and 78 bodies have been brought to the ground over three days of rescue operation at an abandoned gold mine in South Africa, the police said.

In a statement issued at 8:00 p.m. Wednesday, the South African Police Service (SAPS) said that 246 illegal miners had been retrieved alive from underground and had been arrested since the rescue operation commenced on Monday at the Stilfontein mine in the North West Province. The number of bodies recovered stood at 78, the same as the previous update released at 4:00 p.m., Xinhua news agency reported.

“We cannot say for sure that the operation has been called off at this stage,” SAPS national spokesperson Athlenda Mathe told Xinhua.

She made the remarks after volunteers involved in the rescue operation told the media that there were no more survivors or bodies underground.

Mathe said the Mine Rescue Service, which has been responsible for the operation in Stilfontein, would send a cage underground on Thursday morning “to see if any illegal miners resurface with the cage.”

“We will rely on the Mine Rescue Service to confirm this with their state-of-the-art equipment. That will hopefully be able to give us a picture of what is happening underground,” she clarified. “We have indicated that as the SAPS, we have to verify this.”

The spokesperson added that the police would provide further updates on the rescue operation later on Thursday.

The situation at the disused mine shafts in Stilfontein has been developing since August 2024, when small groups of illegal miners began emerging from the shafts. Since then, at least 1,576 illegal miners have come to the surface and been arrested, with the majority of them being foreign nationals from neighbouring countries, according to earlier police statements.

Many gold mines in South Africa that were closed over the decades due to declining production have been taken over by illegal foreign miners who reopen them in search of gold.

(IANS)

Tags: South AfricaSouth African Police Service (SAPS)
ShareTweetSendSharePinShareSend
Previous Post

Saif Ali Khan Attacked With Knife, Hospitalised

Next Post

Two Law Aspirants Killed, Two Critical As Car Falls Into Ditch On Konark-Nimapara Road

Related Posts

World

Hungary, US Sign Nuclear Cooperation Agreement

February 16, 2026
World

Death Toll From Cyclone Gezani Rises To 59 In Madagascar

February 16, 2026
HORMUZ, April 30, 2019 (Xinhua) -- Iranian soldiers patrol the Strait of Hormuz in southern Iran, April 30, 2019. Iran's top military commander said on Sunday that the Islamic republic does not intend to close the Strait of Hormuz for the international shipping. Tehran wants the Strait of Hormuz to remain open with sustained security, Chief of Staff of Iran's Armed Forces Major General Hossein Baqeri was quoted as saying by Tasnim news agency. (Xinhua/Ahmad Halabisaz/IANS)
World

Iran’s IRGC Launches ‘Combined, Targetted’ Drill In Strait Of Hormuz

February 16, 2026
World

More Businesspersons In Newly-Elected Bangladesh Parliament, Members’ Average Age 59 Years: Reports

February 16, 2026
World

Deal ‘Rushed, Unequal, And Risky’, Benefits US Cotton Producers Than Bangladesh Garment Exporters: Report

February 16, 2026
World

Bangladesh: BNP Begins Discussions On Next President As Tarique Rahman Set To Take Oath As PM

February 16, 2026
Next Post
ACCIDENT

Two Law Aspirants Killed, Two Critical As Car Falls Into Ditch On Konark-Nimapara Road

Three Detained In Saif Ali Khan Attack Case

Two Mega Hydroelectric Power Projects To Come Up In Arunachal At A Cost Of Rs 35,000 Cr

Khimji
OMC
  • Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.