• Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap
Ommcom News
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
Odisha News, Odisha Breaking News, Odisha Latest News || Ommcom News
Home World

Death Toll Rises To 53 In Indonesia’s School Collapse, Search Efforts Continue

OMMCOM NEWS by OMMCOM NEWS
October 6, 2025
in World

Jakarta: The death toll from the collapse of a school building in Indonesia’s East Java province has climbed to 53, while search operations for trapped victims remain underway, regional rescue authorities said on Monday.

A joint rescue team recovered eight bodies on Sunday evening from under the rubble of the Al Khoziny Islamic boarding school compound in Sidoarjo Regency, according to Nanang Sigit, head of the East Java Search and Rescue Office.

As of the eighth day of the operation, a total of 157 victims have been found, including 104 survivors and 53 fatalities.

The evacuation process is still ongoing, with debris removal now focused on the north side of the site, in areas not connected to the main structure. Heavy machinery and electrical equipment have been deployed to support the search.

The building collapsed on September 29, when hundreds of students were reportedly performing prayers inside, leaving many trapped beneath the debris, Xinhua news agency reported.

On Thursday, rescuers began using heavy machinery after detecting no further signs of life, having previously relied on manual methods due to fears that vibrations from large equipment might trigger additional collapses.

Officials explained that the rescue efforts were especially challenging, as movement in one section of the site could destabilise other areas.

While investigations into the cause of the collapse are still ongoing, early findings point to potentially poor construction practices as a contributing factor.

Subandi, the district head of Sidoarjo, confirmed earlier police statements indicating that the school’s management had failed to obtain the necessary construction permits before starting the project.

According to Indonesia’s 2002 Building Construction Code, permits must be secured from relevant authorities prior to any building activity. Noncompliance can result in fines or imprisonment, and if the violation leads to fatalities, penalties can include up to 15 years in prison and fines reaching 8 billion rupiah (approximately $500,000).

(IANS)

ShareTweetSendSharePinShareSend
Previous Post

J.P. Nadda, Priyanka Gandhi Express Grief Over Jaipur Hospital Fire Tragedy; Urge Swift Action And Relief

Next Post

French PM Sebastien Lecornu Resigns After Few Weeks In Office

Related Posts

World

Hungary, US Sign Nuclear Cooperation Agreement

February 16, 2026
World

Death Toll From Cyclone Gezani Rises To 59 In Madagascar

February 16, 2026
HORMUZ, April 30, 2019 (Xinhua) -- Iranian soldiers patrol the Strait of Hormuz in southern Iran, April 30, 2019. Iran's top military commander said on Sunday that the Islamic republic does not intend to close the Strait of Hormuz for the international shipping. Tehran wants the Strait of Hormuz to remain open with sustained security, Chief of Staff of Iran's Armed Forces Major General Hossein Baqeri was quoted as saying by Tasnim news agency. (Xinhua/Ahmad Halabisaz/IANS)
World

Iran’s IRGC Launches ‘Combined, Targetted’ Drill In Strait Of Hormuz

February 16, 2026
World

More Businesspersons In Newly-Elected Bangladesh Parliament, Members’ Average Age 59 Years: Reports

February 16, 2026
World

Deal ‘Rushed, Unequal, And Risky’, Benefits US Cotton Producers Than Bangladesh Garment Exporters: Report

February 16, 2026
World

Bangladesh: BNP Begins Discussions On Next President As Tarique Rahman Set To Take Oath As PM

February 16, 2026
Next Post
French Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu

French PM Sebastien Lecornu Resigns After Few Weeks In Office

North Bengal Disaster: Mamata Banerjee Announces Compensation, Jobs For Victims’ Families

Cuttack Situation Returning To Normal: Odisha Law Minister

Khimji
OMC
  • Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.