Bhubaneswar: The Odisha Fire and Emergency Services has rescued 669 people and 95 domestic animals from flood-affected areas across the state as heavy rains and overflowing rivers continue to disrupt normal life, Director General of Fire Services and Commandant General, Home Guards, Dr Sudhanshu Sarangi, said on Monday.
A total of 115 rescue teams backed by 78 boats have been deployed, with Jajpur and Balasore emerging as the worst-hit districts.
Addressing reporters, Sarangi said the department has mounted an extensive rescue and relief operation in coordination with the district administrations to ensure the safe evacuation of people stranded in inundated villages.
“So far, 669 people have been rescued and shifted to safer places. We have also rescued 95 domestic animals. Besides rescue operations, our teams are carrying out dewatering work at 94 locations, while relief materials are being distributed to affected families,” he said.
According to the DG, the flood situation remains particularly critical in Jajpur and Balasore districts.
Around 350 people have been rescued from Jajpur alone, where Fire Services personnel are working alongside officials of the local administration, including Block Development Officers (BDOs) and Tahsildars, to evacuate residents and distribute relief supplies.
He said people who have fallen ill in flood-hit areas are being shifted to nearby hospitals for treatment, while rescue teams continue to monitor vulnerable locations.
Sarangi said the department has cancelled leave for its personnel to ensure uninterrupted emergency response.
“All our officers and staff have been directed to remain on duty round the clock. Every life is valuable, and we are committed to providing all possible assistance to those affected by the floods,” he said.
The Fire Services chief said a 24-hour control room has been activated to coordinate rescue operations, while the Odisha Chief Fire Officer has been deputed to Jajpur to oversee the response on the ground.
Appealing to residents to remain cautious, Sarangi urged people requiring emergency assistance to dial the 112 emergency helpline, assuring that the department remains on high alert and is prepared to respond to any situation arising out of the floods.










