• Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap
Ommcom News
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
Odisha News, Odisha Breaking News, Odisha Latest News || Ommcom News
Home Nation

Meghalaya Coal Mine Tragedy: 18 Bodies Recovered, Says CM Sangma

OMMCOM NEWS by OMMCOM NEWS
February 5, 2026
in Nation

Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma on Thursday confirmed that at least 18 bodies of labourers have been recovered so far from a collapsed illegal coal mine at Thangsko in the coal-rich East Jaintia Hills district, even as search and rescue operations continue.

Speaking to reporters here, Sangma said the incident occurred earlier in the day when a powerful dynamite blast triggered the collapse of the illegal mine, trapping several workers inside. The explosion reportedly took place around 11.30 a.m. during mining activity.

The Chief Minister said two cabinet ministers — Wailadmiki Shylla and Lahkmen Rymbui — have been directed to visit the accident site to oversee the situation and coordinate relief and rescue efforts. The site is located in a remote area, around a three-hour journey from the district headquarters at Khliehriat.

Sangma said he is personally monitoring the situation and remains in constant touch with district officials.

The Deputy Chief Minister, who is in charge of the Home (Police) department, is also closely coordinating with the administration to ensure that rescue operations are carried out efficiently.

“Search and rescue operations are underway, and investigations have been initiated,” the Chief Minister said, adding that the state government is taking the incident with utmost seriousness.

Disaster response teams, including personnel from the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), have been mobilised to assist local authorities in the ongoing operation, which is being conducted under challenging conditions due to unstable terrain and safety concerns.

Earlier, the Chief Minister said the Meghalaya government has ordered a thorough inquiry into the incident and made it clear that accountability would be enforced.

“The Government of Meghalaya has ordered a comprehensive inquiry into the incident. Accountability will be fixed, and those responsible will face strict legal action,” he said.

Stressing that there would be no leniency in matters involving public safety, the Chief Minister asserted that the state would not compromise when it comes to the protection of human lives.

He said the administration would ensure that all necessary legal and administrative steps are taken based on the findings of the inquiry.

“In this moment of sorrow, the State stands in solidarity with all those affected,” Sangma added.

(IANS)

ShareTweetSendSharePinShareSend
Previous Post

WPL 2026: Rodrigues, Wolvaardt, Henry Propel Delhi Capitals To 203/4 In Decider Against RCB

Next Post

President Murmu Returns To Roots, Emotions Overflow In Pahadpur

Related Posts

Nation

MP Govt Recommends CBI Probe Into Twisha Sharma Death Case

May 22, 2026
JNU student leader Umar Khalid. (File Photo: IANS)
Nation

Delhi HC Grants Interim Bail To Umar Khalid From June 1-3 To Visit Ailing Mother

May 22, 2026
Nation

FIR Registered Against Iqra Hasan; Accused Of Blocking Road, Creating Ruckus Outside DIG Office

May 22, 2026
Nation

Gujarat: BJP Set For Clean Sweep In Rajya Sabha Elections As Lone Cong Seat At Risk

May 22, 2026
Nation

Delhi HC Issues Contempt Notice To AAP Leader Gopal Rai, Journalist

May 22, 2026
Nation

PM Modi, Cyprus President Nikos Christodoulides Hold Bilateral Talks In New Delhi

May 22, 2026
Next Post

President Murmu Returns To Roots, Emotions Overflow In Pahadpur

No Gang-Rape At Medaram Jatara, Finds Preliminary Probe By NCW

NCP Releases Ajit Pawar's Last Campaign Video Appealing Voters To Support Party

Khimji
SAI
  • Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.