• Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap
Ommcom News
Advertisement
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
Odisha News, Odisha Breaking News, Odisha Latest News || Ommcom News
Home World

Over 100 Killed In Gold Mine Collapse On Cameroon-CAR Border

OMMCOM NEWS by OMMCOM NEWS
August 20, 2026
in World

Yaounde: More than 100 miners were killed Tuesday after a gold mine caved in at a border village between Cameroon and the Central African Republic (CAR), Cameroonian officials and local media have said.

Gregoire Mvongo, governor of Cameroon’s East Region, which borders CAR, said Wednesday that the collapse happened around 2:00 p.m. local time in the village of Zamboye.

“Zamboye is a border village, but the mine collapsed on the CAR side. About three to five Cameroonians died. We are doing everything possible to rescue victims,” Mvongo told Xinhua by phone.

Cameroon’s state media CRTV put the death toll at over 100. Other local outlets reported that 107 bodies had already been recovered from the debris.

Meanwhile, in a recording obtained by Xinhua on Thursday, CAR Minister of Mines and Geology Rufin Benam-Beltoungou confirmed 49 deaths.

“We visited the site where the tragedy occurred. We counted 49 deaths, including 34 CAR nationals, 13 Cameroonians, and two Chadians. In a meeting we held, some managers acknowledged the indiscipline of the miners,” Benam-Beltoungou told reporters in CAR after visiting the site on Wednesday.

He also ordered the mine to be temporarily closed.

Oriegene Dokna, a Cameroonian resident near the site, described the tragedy as a shock to the local community. “We are shocked by the tragedy. Families have been mourning since yesterday. It is a difficult situation to accept,” Dokna told Xinhua.

Local officials said rescue teams were still working to reach miners believed to be trapped underground.

Meanwhile, in July, five miners were killed after a gold mine collapsed in Narok County in southwestern Kenya.

Kilimapesa, located about 180 km south of Narok Town, is home to Kenya’s largest commercial gold mining operation, Xinhua News Agency reported.

The incident came amid growing concerns over safety in Kenya’s gold mining sector, which has been plagued by fatal accidents in recent years.

(IANS)

ShareTweetSendSharePinShareSend
Previous Post

Bihar: Nia Arrests Absconding Accused In Muzaffarpur Ak-47 Case

Related Posts

World

Iran’s FM Says US ‘Economic Terrorism’ Threatens Global Economy, National Sovereignty

August 20, 2026
World

Humanitarian Assistance Sent By India Arrives In Colombia

August 20, 2026
World

Iran’s IRGC Says More ‘Devastating’ Weapons To Be Used If New War Begins

August 20, 2026
World

Indian Delegation Visits Bhutan, Discusses Opportunities In Specialised Healthcare Services

August 20, 2026
World

Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir Elected Bangladesh’s 23rd President

August 20, 2026
World

North Korea Fires Barrage Of Short-Range Ballistic Missiles Despite Trump Overture

August 20, 2026
Khimji
SAI
  • Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.