• Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap
Ommcom News
Advertisement
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
Odisha News, Odisha Breaking News, Odisha Latest News || Ommcom News
Home Nation

North Korea Fires Barrage Of Short-Range Ballistic Missiles Despite Trump Overture

OMMCOM NEWS by OMMCOM NEWS
August 20, 2026
in Nation

Seoul: North Korea fired a barrage of short-range ballistic missiles toward the East Sea on Thursday, despite a recent olive branch offered by US President Donald Trump, who signalled a willingness to reengage with the North’s leader Kim Jong-un.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said it detected roughly a dozen short-range ballistic missiles launched from the Pyongyang area at around 5 pm, adding that further analysis is under way in cooperation with the United States.

The military has stepped up surveillance and vigilance for possible additional launches while closely sharing related information with the US and Japan as they maintain a full readiness posture, the JCS said.

“Under a staunch South Korea-US combined defence posture, our military is closely monitoring various North Korean activities as we maintain the capability and readiness to overwhelmingly respond to any provocation,” it added.

The latest missile launch came after Trump expressed his willingness to resume dialogue with Kim, whom he met three times during his first term in 2018 and 2019, when a flurry of nuclear diplomacy with Pyongyang was in full swing, Yonhap News Agency reported.

Nuclear talks have been dormant after their 2019 meeting in Hanoi ended without a deal.

Trump floated an overture on a social media post earlier this week, stating he had instructed the Pentagon to scale down military drills with South Korea that he sees as sending an “inappropriate and hostile” message to Pyongyang.

Seoul and Washington announced Wednesday they will cut short the ongoing Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise by half, ending the annual drills this Friday.

Pyongyang has strongly denounced the drills as rehearsals for invasion and typically responded with a series of weapons tests in protest.

In a White House press availability Wednesday (US time), Trump said he would meet Kim later this year, claiming that the recalcitrant state possesses “57 very powerful” nuclear weapons, a specific figure he has cited for the first time regarding the North’s nuclear stockpile.

Despite Trump’s olive branch, the North appears to have given Washington the cold shoulder. Kim Yo-jong, the powerful sister of the North’s leader, said in a statement late Wednesday that Pyongyang has no interest in the reduction of the allies’ military exercise, calling it “unworthy of comment.”

Following the launch, the presidential national security office said it convened a meeting attended by officials from the defence ministry and JCS to review South Korea’s response and assess the move’s impact on national security.

“With the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise currently underway, the office stressed the need to maintain a thorough readiness posture,” it said, urging Pyongyang to halt such provocations in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.

The latest missile launch took place about a week after Pyongyang fired a short-range ballistic missile eastward on Aug. 12, following the launch of another short-range ballistic missile on Aug. 6.

(IANS)

ShareTweetSendSharePinShareSend
Previous Post

National Lok Adalat To Be Held In Khordha Courts On Sept 12

Next Post

Centre Approves Over 11 Lakh Houses For Bihar Under Awas Yojana; CM Choudhary Thanks PM Modi

Related Posts

Nation

Centre Approves Over 11 Lakh Houses For Bihar Under Awas Yojana; CM Choudhary Thanks PM Modi

August 20, 2026
Nation

India And Singapore Take Partnership Forward During Ministerial Roundtable

August 20, 2026
Nation

Campus Politics In West Bengal: When ‘Change’ Leads To Violence

August 20, 2026
Nation

‘Absurd Protest, No Relevance’: NCERT’s Former Director J.S. Rajput Dismisses Criticism Over Inclusion Of RSS-Linked Members In Panel

August 20, 2026
Nation

India, Japan Reaffirm Commitment To Deepen Bilateral Defence Cooperation

August 20, 2026
Nation

Jharkhand High Court Stays Soren Govt’s Order Revoking JPSC-JSSC Appointments

August 20, 2026
Next Post

Centre Approves Over 11 Lakh Houses For Bihar Under Awas Yojana; CM Choudhary Thanks PM Modi

Khimji
SAI
  • Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.