• Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap
Ommcom News
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special
No Result
View All Result
Odisha News, Odisha Breaking News, Odisha Latest News || Ommcom News
Home Nation

SC To Hear PIL Challenging Reduction In Qualifying Percentiles For NEET-PG Today

OMMCOM NEWS by OMMCOM NEWS
April 28, 2026
in Nation

New Delhi: The Supreme Court, on Tuesday, will hear a batch of pleas challenging the reduction in the qualifying cut-off percentile for the NEET-PG 2025–26 examination.

During a brief hearing, senior advocate Gopal Sankarnarayanan, appearing for the petitioners, earlier submitted that a sufficient number of candidates had already qualified the NEET-PG examination to fill all available postgraduate seats, and that a reduction in the cut-off was unwarranted.

He argued that vacant seats persisted not due to a lack of eligible candidates, but because many qualified aspirants were unable to take admission owing to high fees.

On the other hand, senior advocate D.S. Naidu, appearing for a candidate supporting the cut-off reduction, backed the Centre’s stand and contended that lowering the percentile would not dilute academic standards, as all candidates are required to clear the MBBS qualification examination.

However, the bench of Justices P.S. Narasimha and Alok Aradhe did not go into the merits of the controversy and posted the matter for detailed hearing on Tuesday.

The issue stems from a public interest litigation (PIL) challenging the decision to drastically reduce the qualifying cut-off percentiles for NEET-PG 2025–26.

Earlier, the Justice Narasimha-led Bench had issued notice to the Union government, the National Board of Examinations in Medical Sciences (NBEMS), the National Medical Commission (NMC), and the Medical Counselling Committee (MCC).

The plea, filed by advocate Satyam Singh Rajput, contended that the decision to lower qualifying standards to abnormally low, zero, or even negative percentiles after declaration of results and completion of two rounds of counselling is arbitrary and unconstitutional, violating Articles 14 and 21 of the Constitution.

It cautioned that allowing candidates with such scores to enter postgraduate medical training could compromise patient safety, public health, and the integrity of medical education.

Describing the move as “unprecedented and extreme”, the petition argued that NEET-PG, meant to act as a national screening mechanism, had been reduced to “an instrument certifying failure as eligibility” and further contended that the “rules of the game” cannot be altered after the selection process has commenced.

Defending the decision, the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare told the Supreme Court that the cut-off reduction was taken after detailed deliberations by expert bodies in view of a large number of vacant postgraduate seats and to ensure optimal utilisation of healthcare infrastructure.

In an affidavit, the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) said the challenge was misconceived as it pertained to an academic and policy decision taken within the statutory framework of the National Medical Commission Act, 2019.

Placing data on record, the Centre said that for the academic session 2025–26, around 70,000 seats were available, including 31,742 under the All-India Quota (AIQ), of which 9,621 remained vacant after the second round of counselling.

It added that nearly 20,000 postgraduate seats were likely to remain unfilled nationwide, prompting a review of the cut-off.

According to the Union government, the decision rendered over one lakh additional candidates eligible for the third round of counselling, without altering inter se merit or compromising standards.

It also highlighted that similar reductions had been undertaken in previous years, including lowering the qualifying percentile to zero across categories in 2023.

Arguing that courts should refrain from interfering in academic and policy matters unless decisions are shown to be arbitrary or unconstitutional, the Centre urged dismissal of the petition as devoid of merit.

IANS

Tags: NEET PG
ShareTweetSendSharePinShareSend
Previous Post

MP: Two Women Killed As Truck Rams Pickup Vehicle Carrying Wedding Guests

Next Post

Vijay Offers Prayers At Tiruchendur Murugan Temple Ahead Of May 4 Counting

Related Posts

Nation

NSUI Protests In Delhi Over NEET Paper Leak; Seeks Dharmendra Pradhan’s Resignation, Ban On NTA

May 18, 2026
Nation

Namaz Should Not Be Offered On Roads, Conduct Shifts If Required: UP CM Yogi

May 18, 2026
Nation

‘World Sees PM Modi As Ray Of Hope’: NDA Leaders Hail Sweden’s Highest Honour Conferred On Prime Minister

May 18, 2026
Nation

SC Refuses To Hear PIL On Temple Priests’ Wages

May 18, 2026
Nation

CM Satheesan Unveils Welfare Bonanza In First Cabinet Meeting

May 18, 2026
Nation

PM Modi Receives Warm Welcome From Indian Community In Norway

May 18, 2026
Next Post

Vijay Offers Prayers At Tiruchendur Murugan Temple Ahead Of May 4 Counting

TN Polls: Counting Of Votes On May 4 At 62 Centres; Postal Ballots First

Blast Damages Railway Track Near Punjab's Patiala, Triggers Security Concerns

Khimji
SAI
  • Feedback
  • RSS Feed
  • Sitemap

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Add New Playlist

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Odisha
  • Nation
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Videos
  • Science & Tech
  • Photo Gallery
  • Odisha Special

© 2025 - Ommcom News. All Rights Reserved.