Keonjhar: In yet another case of elephant death in Odisha, a wild pachyderm was electrocuted at Basantpur Jadipadasahi under the Champua forest range in the Keonjhar district of Odisha On Saturday. According to reports, the elephant died after coming in contact with a live high-tension (11KV) electric wire dangling at a low height.
According to reports, though the Forest department had informed the Electricity department about the movement of the elephant in the area, no step was taken by the concerned authorities to remove or raise the height of the wire.
It is worth mentioning here that two female elephants were electrocuted after they came in contact with live electric wires on the premises of Krishi Vigyan Kendra under the Sadar range in Keonjhar in August 2022.
Such deaths in the region have become a concern for the locals as well as the Forest department. However, the Forest as well as the Electricity departments seem to be passing the buck to avoid responsibility.